Thank you for choosing Thames & Kosmos and for your interest in Happy Atoms.
The Happy Atoms app relies on your device's camera and the lighting conditions in the environment to accurately discern color differences on the atoms themselves. Let's try some troubleshooting.
- First, force close the Happy Atoms app (Double tap the square button at the bottom of your device to go into multitasking mode > Swipe up on the Happy Atoms app to close it)
- Turn the HDR option on your phone's camera to "ON", (Launch Camera App > Top of the screen > Tap HDR until it displays "ON")
- HDR is High Dynamic Range and helps the camera to take pictures with greater detail and a "higher range" or color and brightness
- Try more direct light from above on the play space to avoid harsh shadows
- Separate the atoms so there is white space between them.
- Orient the atoms so that the letter or contrasting-color line is visible.
Try to emulate the conditions in this picture as best you can:
If it’s still not recognizing your atoms, you can bypass this section of the tutorial by tapping on the camera icon (highlighted in a red box in the image above) 9 times. This will allow you to jump to the next phase of the tutorial, where you will be asked to synthesize a water molecule.
When you scan the molecule, the system will make its best guess as to which atoms it is composed of, but you can also override the atom identification system by holding on an atom's periodic symbol and changing it to the correct atom when the list appears. Here are the steps:
- Lay out your molecule and take the picture.
- Once the picture is taken, tap on each on the component atoms to bring up the "target" symbol.
- Tap the "Scan" button.
- After scanning, the system will display what it thinks your atoms are.
- If any atoms are incorrect, tap and hold on the individual atom and scroll through available atoms until the correct one is shown.
Once all the atoms are correct, you can create the target molecule and get out of the tutorial.
I hope that resolved the issue. If not, we kindly ask you to send an email to the app's developer, here, who can help you directly with App-based queries for Happy Atoms:
If you have any additional questions about this or any of our other kits, please do not hesitate in including them in your email to us.
Thank you again for choosing Thames & Kosmos. We hope you and your family continue to enjoy our products for many years to come.
The Thames & Kosmos Technical Support Team